Sick Building Syndrome or Did the Mold get you?


Older-built structures that suffer from neglect and poor air quality may result in effects from exposure to biological pollutants. Their occupants have reported depression or anxiety, a potential link between certain toxic molds and other symptoms like movement disorders, delirium, dementia, disorders of balance and coordination, and that ‘creepy’ feeling.  Old, spooky places that make you feel like things just aren't ... quite ... right. Maybe the mold might be what pushes you over the edge. "If you’re in a place where you’re exposed to mold and you’re feeling a little anxious, and you see something strange or you feel something strange, you might be more likely to blame it to a haunting.” Shane Rogers, a professor of Civil & Environmental Engineering at Clarkson University

American physicist and paranormal skeptic Dr Harry Kloor is also convinced mold is to blame for many supernatural events. He said: “A common airborne fungus will actually grow on latex paint and produces these ergot alkaloids which cause people to hallucinate. This could explain the bizarre things that people are seeing. Our brain pattern recognition-danger response system reacts, but not all such events can be explained away. Is it really paranormal or just odd or unusual science events masking themselves as paranormal. The only way to determine this is via a scientific investigation that follows strict scientific methods.” 

In his concept of mold-tripping , "Sick Library Syndrome" in Dr. Hay’s 1995 article in the The Lancet journal, describes that hallucinogenic spores in old books could lead feelings of "enhancement and enlightenment" Dr. R.J. Hay, mycologists and Dean of Dermatology at Guy's Hospital in London. 

Great Britain authorities sampled public libraries and found evidence that suggests a ‘sick building syndrome’ exists in libraries and that air‐conditioned libraries are more likely to be affected than those which are naturally ventilated. Morris /Dennison  ” A third of British believe in ghosts but their scientists now believe toxic mold - which grows on the walls of damp homes in the UK - could be to blame.

In the American High Rise buildings, occupants are in a sort of low-level chemical stew -- an unwelcome byproduct of our industrialized environment. Nausea and headaches suggest carbon monoxide may be sneaking into the building; Mysterious itching may be caused by exposure to fibrous glass insulation from an air-duct. (Mark Cullen and Kathleen Kreiss) Other experts believe the epidemic of sick building syndrome may be linked poor lighting. It's only natural to feel miserable when in this out of whack EMF environment of fluorescent lights buzzing overhead. John Rekus, editor of EHS Today  

So what can you do? Well, the Environmental Protection Agency has only simple tips to offer:

  • · Don't block air vents.
  • · If you must smoke, go outside far away. 
  • · Take care of your plants -- dusty, dying plants don't help the air quality and over-watered plants can develop mold.
  • · Get rid of garbage promptly to prevent odors and biological contamination.
  • · Keep perishable food in the refrigerator, and clean the refrigerator to prevent odors and mold.
  • · Keep eating areas clean to avoid attracting Cockroaches droppings.
  • · Get water leaks repaired to prevent mold from growing.
  • · Monitor your electrical systems for high EMF.

All and all what seems to be the most prudent, is to keep our personal space as clean and safe as possible for your own sanity and health.  

Be aware, that ‘creepy feeling’ may be the mold pushing you over the edge!


 Debunk Corner articles are an assembly of brief snips from the Internet Community on subjects we rule out in investigations.